In this introductory course we will explore the key elements of Nordic Leadership based on the 9 Viking Virtues of Courage, Truth, Honor, fidelity, Discipline, Hospitality, Industriousness, Self-Reliance, Perseverance. We will draw parallels between the virtues as a foundation for the Nordic leadership style and culture that leads to much of the success the Nordic countries are experiencing today. You will gain insight on how you can apply these to your own personal or organizational challenge.
Culturally, politically, philosophically, the Nordic countries have been at the forefront of much that is new and interesting. A trendsetter in design, gastronomy, literature, and visual art, the Nordics also draw attention today for their business practices and involvement in key international organizations. At an individual and corporate level, the Nordics are gaining recognition for their distinct approach to leadership.
The inclusive, trusting, collaborative style of Nordic leadership offers a proven alternative to “command and control leadership” and a means by which to navigate through our current times of extreme change.
- In this Nordic Leadership introductory course we will explore the key elements of Nordic Leadership based on the 9 Viking Virtues of Courage, Truth, Honor, fidelity, Discipline, Hospitality, Industriousness, Self-Reliance, Perseverance, a codex that formed the foundation of the success of the Viking era that spanned for over 400 years.
- We will draw parallels between the virtues as a foundation for the Nordic Leadership style and many of the success the Nordic countries are seeing today.
- 09:00 - Introduction of the course and the personal “Viking Leadership” profile
Presentation and “getting started” – what are your leadership strengths?
- 09:30 - Return of the Vikings: Why were the Vikings so successful throughout 400 years?
Presentation of history and discussion
- 10.00 - Why is Nordic Leadership interesting as a response to a world in extreme change?
Presentation of theories and group discussions regarding the world characterized by volatility, uncertainty, complexity and ambiguity
- 10.45 - The Nordic approach to leadership – what is it?
Presentation of old Nordic virtues and the possible influence on today’s Nordic Leadership, followed by discussions and group exercises
-11.30 Is the 9 Nobel Virtues a codex for good leadership praxis?
Presentation and reflection – develop your own plan of action for change and development
- 12.30 Close
- Through anecdotes, stories and personal experiences, you will be introduced to the 9 Vikings Virtues and how they form the foundation of a Nordic style of leadership.
- Through discussion and interaction, you will further develop an understanding of modern-day examples of Nordic Leadership and its relevance in times of extreme change.
- Reflect on how these virtues and this style of leadership can apply to your own situation.
- Develop an action plan on how you can begin to apply Viking Leadership to your own personal or organizational leadership challenge.
- Complete a personal profile that identifies your traits compared to the 9 Viking Virtues
This introductory course is for persons working in a leadership role or for anyone who is interested in gaining insight into a Nordic style of leadership and how this can be applied to individual leadership, leading an organization, or leading complexity. And how this can inspire towards learning to navigate successfully in times of extreme change.